Something you may or may not know that Rollerland has is S.T.E.M. field trips. For anyone who does not know what S.T.E.M. stands for, it is an acronym for the fields to science, technology, engineering and math. We want to encourage kids in our community to learn more about these fields and see what they love.
What do these fields of study have to do with roller skating? A LOT. We have several different lesson plans that tie in skating back to STEM education. We partner with teachers around the Fort Collins area and are able to show these students real world application of what they are learning in their classrooms.
We have several different lesson plans that each teacher can choose from. The lesson plans are created by professional educators nationwide and meet state standards. Each S.T.E.M field trip includes a one hour lesson along with two hours of physical fitness via roller skating. Below are the lesson plans and what they touch on.
- The Science of Roller Skating. This lesson covers the topics of geometry, friction and design. We discuss the parts of a roller skate and how different surfaces around the rink affect how you can skate on them. The students will even have a chance to design a new roller skate part.
- Motion and Rink Design. This lesson covers topics like motion, physics and design. It will be an introduction into the physics of roller skating that discusses the different components of motion.
- Music, Math and Roller Skating. This lesson discusses the topics of beats per minute, sound waves and frequency. Students will learn how to counts beats in the music played at the rink and see how the beats per minute affect the speed of the skater.
- Super Sound! Music and Rink Design. This lesson discusses the topics of sound waves, Doppler effect and sound system design. Students will get to see how sound waves work as well as how the sounds moves using different speakers in the rink.
- Engineering Magic and Lighting. This lessons teaches the students about light waves, color and the speed of light. They will learn how wave lengths allow us to see color as well as discover all of the colors of the rainbow throughout the rink.
- Heart, Health and Fitness. This lesson plan will teach the students about heart health, basic anatomy, calculating an average and labeling a graph. They will learn how the body works from the inside out as well as the importance of making healthy choices.
- Formulas, Fractions and Fun: The Relationship between Math and Roller Skating. This lesson teaches the students about means, medians, modes, geometry and calculating speed. Students will get to measure and calculate the speed of a skater, while identifying different shapes found through the roller rink.
As you can see in my brief descriptions of our lessons, we have something for everyone and while there is a lot of learning, these field trips are also a ton of fun. Do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or to book your next S.T.E.M field trip.